Pages

FOR THE LOVE OF IMAGES

Come visit my other blog, snippets of life (formerly everyday portraits =.). I've been posting there but mostly, I've been instagramming. If you like, come follow me here.


It takes time to blog and post for all to enjoy. So if you like something, kindly link back to this blog. Do the same with other bloggers. Thanks for visiting.

7/12/10

KITCHENEERING 101

I coordinate our church's kids camp (this is my fourth year and loving it!)  This year I served in the kitchen during camp having adult conversations.  If you really know me, the kitchen is not my most favored place.  I would easily abandon cooking (cleaning up, I can handle) to anyone who prefers to do it.  But because I'm a mom, I practically live in the kitchen.
Don't get me wrong.  It's not that I can't cook nor am I afraid to tackle the job. As a matter of fact, I spent one whole summer in France in the 80's helping missionaries in a French Kids Camp doing...guess what?  Domestic work! From 5am till 10pm, I was in the kitchen, and other parts of the campground, with young people volunteering from all over the United States. You see, if need be, I can really whip up a very nice meal with all the trimmings. It's just that I'd rather be shooting, sewing, crafting, scrapping and blogging.
I do have a hardworking and dedicated husband with three ever-growing, always-hungry kids who need to eat. And so far, I don't think I do a bad job supplying them with just that. For my own consolation, our children's pediatrician unsolicitedly commented, "I wish all my patients are this healthy. Perfect weight for their height.  They're just growing perfectly." Of course, I know I can do better with my cooking skills.  David, on the other hand, is a culinary expert. I stay out of the kitchen when he's in charge.  I come in when he's done to clean up the mess.
With all that jargon, I simply wanted to share images from the kitchen with our camp cooks, Loree and Jan.  They were simply amazing at what they do.  They're patient, kind and loving.  I miss them already.  I'm getting hungry as I write this!  I also had the pleasure of working closely with other moms from different church groups.  Needless to say, I truly enjoyed my stint as a kitcheneer where I kept my point & shoot camera in my apron to document such simple moments.

Cookery has become a noble art, a noble science; cooks are gentle(wo)men. ~Robert Burton
He provides you with plenty of food and fills your hearts with joy. ~Acts 14:7

With Jan (Loree's mom) and Loree (right) • Amazing cooks • Taken very early in the a.m.
Moms from all walks of life (l-r: Julie, Gina, Louise et moi) ready to serve a very hungry mob!

Hunger is the best sauce in the world. ~Cervantes
...by their fruit you will recognize them.  ~Matthew 7:20
Blessed are those who...thirst for righteousness for they will be filled. ~Matthew 5:6
Tell me what you eat, I'll tell you who you are.  ~Anthelme Brillat-SavarinFervet olla, vivit amicitia: While the pot boils, friendship endures. (Meaning the wo/man who gives good dinners has plenty of friends). ~Latin ProverbVegetables are a must on a diet.  I suggest carrot cake, zucchini bread, and pumpkin pie.  ~Jim DavisWe have had enough to eat and plenty to spare, because the LORD has blessed His people. ~2 Chronicles 31:10
Pastor Paul, from SF, helping Loree with the BBQ on a HOT day!
Here's some of the FABULOUS dishwashing crew!  Young, strong and beautiful. THANK YOU for doing a fantastic job!
Pastor Paul, from Cottonwood, and the rest of us, kitcheneers, enjoy our meals after serving the children.

"I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these...you did for Me." ~Matthew 25:40

And these women and men did just that...so glad to be a part of it!
BUT that's only from the kitchen. You should see what our camp leaders did for/with their precious campers for the entire week.  They were with them 24/7. Talk about selflessness...

No comments: